forums
new posts
donate
UER Store
events
location db
db map
search
members
faq
terms of service
privacy policy
register
login




View with Side Frame!
Location DB > Canada > Quebec > Montreal > Stelco Steel / Montreal Rolling Mills
 Name
Stelco Steel / Montreal Rolling Mills
 Viewing Options
Log in to activate viewing options
 Database Info
created by cjb on 8/20/2003 9:13 AM
last modified by Emperor Wang on 12/21/2016 4:21 AM
 Viewability
Publically Viewable Publically Viewable
This location has been labeled as Demolished, and therefore can be viewed by anyone.
 Overview
 Description
Occupied a whole city block,between The St-Annes Spinning wool plant and a vacant lot once occupied by the Dominion Flour Mills (this abandoned building destroyed by fire in 1991)
 Basic Information
Type: Building
Status: Demolished
Accessibility: Easy
Recommendation: worth the trip
 Physical Information
Address
4120 St-Ambroise Street
Montreal, Quebec
Canada
Owner: Le Quais des Éclusiers-Lofts project
  • See a map of this location
  •  Hazards
  • rust
  • unsafe flooring
  •  Interesting Features
    Advanced levels of decay in this huge,former metal processing plant. In 2002,the building was host of a manifestation against its demolition to make place for lofts. Demolished in late 2002
     Security Measures
  • wooden boarding
  • There were fences,but what is their utility when they date back from 1979 and are wide open?!
  •  Historical Dates
    Built: 1889
    Closed: 1979
     Required Equipment
  • flashlight
  •  Recommended Equipment

     History
    Formerly known as John C. Hodgson Co. This company was bought by Montreal Rolling Mills (Stelco branch in Montreal) in 1902.

    THE STEEL COMPANY OF CANADA LIMITED

    The Steel Company of Canada, Limited was created in 1910 when a group of businessmen led by Max Aitken, later Lord Beaverbrook, brought together the leaders of five steel and iron firms and persuaded them to join forces. The five firms were The Canada Screw Company and the Hamilton Steel and Iron Company in Hamilton, Ontario; The Montreal Rolling Mills; Dominion Wire Manufacturing Company of Lachine, Quebec, and the Canada Bolt and Nut Company of Swansea, Ontario.

    Of the five, three - Hamilton Steel and Iron Company, The Montreal Rolling Mills and The Canada Screw Company - had roots in pre-Confederation Canada, and through one of them - The Montreal Rolling Mills - Stelco can trace its history back to the late 18th century.

    Montreal Rolling Mills had acquired the Pillow-Hersey Manufacturing Company in 1903, seven years before the merger. And Pillow-Hersey was successor to the businesses of Mansfield Holland, founded in 1856, and the City Nail and Spike Works, founded in 1839 to carry on the business of a cut nail plant established in Montreal by John Bigelow some time in the 1790's. Montreal Rolling Mills Company had itself been organized in 1868 to take over the business of Morland, Watson & Company, founded in the 1850's. The property today forms the Notre Dame Works, largest of Stelco's four plants in the Montreal area.

    Main office and works of the Canada Screw Company Ltd.Through Hamilton Steel and Iron Company, Stelco traces its line to a plant established in 1861 by the Great Western Railway, which ran between Hamilton and London, to re-roll iron rails. The Great Western property was leased in 1878 by a group of businessmen who formed the Ontario Rolling Mill Company, which merged with several other companies to form The Hamilton Steel and Iron Company in 1900.

    Stelco's present-day Canada Works in Hamilton was formerly The Canada Screw Company, which started lite in 1864 in Dundas, Ontario, as a partnership between J. P. Billington and T. Forsyth, who had been associated through the early years of the decade in making farm tools and sewing machines. In 1864 Billington set himself to invent, design and build machinery to make wood screws. He succeeded, and in December of that year turned out the first wood screws ever to be made in Canada, at a time when there were only three other screw manufacturers in the entire world - one each in Britain, the United States and Germany.

    The partnership was dissolved in 1865, and the next year Billington set up a $100,000 Stock company - the Canada Screw Company. By the time of his retirement in 1869, the company vas turning out over half a million screws a week.

    In 1876 Canada Screw was bought by the American Screw Company of Providence, R.1 and after 1879, under the leadership of two financial wizards, Cyrus A. Birge and Charles Alexander, growth was phenomenal.

    Birge moved the factory to Hamilton in 1887 Aerial view of Hilton Works, basic steel plant of The Steel Company of Canada, Ltd.(as a matter of principle: he objected to the Dundas town council's ruling that the company should pay the $50.00 cost of a tile drain to prevent water from its grounds overflowing a neighboring field) and established it in a 54,000 square foot plant next to the Grand Trunk's freight yards.

    By 1898 the Canada Screw Company was an immensely profitable operation, and in that year Birge fulfilled a long-standing ambition by buying out the American interest and restoring the company to full Canadian control. (Cyrus A. Birge was President of The Canadian Manufacturers' Association in 1902-03.)

    Stelco's growth since 1910 has reflected the industrial development of Canada generally. Today, with 19 plants in four provinces, and with subsidiaries, joint ventures and associated companies in Canada, the United States, Switzerland and the Netherlands, the company's principal products include plate, hot rolled and cold rolled sheet, galvanized and prepainted sheet, tin plate, wire rods, hot rolled and cold finished bars, construction materials, fasteners and forgings, pipe and tubing, manufacturers' wire, nails, fencing and barbed wire, as well as special products and some chemicals.

    http://www.lib.uwo...s/ccc-steelco.html
     Media Coverage
    Newspaper articles about the manifestation, and also about the demolition
     Future Plans
    Demolished,a shame. This building had a particular charm. The property has since been replaced by another up-scale loft project called ' Le Quai des Éclusiers'. The old abandoned Dominion floor office building that was remaining from the 1991 fire was also demolished in 2002, the nearby vacant lot was transformed into a park and the CN rail spur dismantled
     Stories


    Add your own story
     Photo Galleries
    Click to view gallery
    before the dogs
    Thu, Sep 18th, 2003
    posted by arigato
    5 pictures
    Click to view gallery
    SPEK's first and last picture
    Fri, Jan 16th, 2004
    posted by SPEK Photo
    1 pictures
    Click to view gallery
    MRM
    Tue, Apr 6th, 2004
    posted by CDM
    1 pictures
    Click to view gallery
    oldies
    Fri, Dec 23rd, 2005
    posted by nel58
    2 pictures
    Click to view gallery
    Last breath of life
    Fri, Dec 23rd, 2005
    posted by nel58
    10 pictures
    Click to view gallery
    2 from the inside
    Thu, Mar 23rd, 2006
    posted by Charlie_Dunver
    2 pictures
    Click to view gallery
    vieille photo
    Mon, Mar 31st, 2008
    posted by cjb
    1 pictures
     


    Add your own photos

    Mark all galleries as Seen
     Web Links
    http://www.lib.uwo...s/ccc-steelco.html
     Contribute

    Edit this Location
     Moderator Rating
    The moderator rating is a neutral rating of the content quality, photography, and coolness of this location.

    This location has not yet been rated by a moderator.
     Validation
    This location's validation is current. It was last validated by Emperor Wang on 12/21/2016 4:22 AM.

     Latest Changes
  • on Dec 21 16 at 4:22, Emperor Wang validated this location
  • on Dec 21 16 at 4:21, Emperor Wang changed the following: Display Name, Street Address
  • on Jul 25 08 at 6:49, Steed validated this location
  • on Mar 31 08 at 22:26, cjb added some pictures to a gallery
  • on Mar 31 08 at 22:26, cjb created a new gallery
  • on Jul 22 07 at 13:59, Emperor Wang validated this location
  • on Jun 27 07 at 6:46, cjb updated the main picture
  • on Mar 23 06 at 17:12, Emperor Wang validated this location
  • on Mar 23 06 at 3:57, Charlie_Dunver created a new gallery
  • on Feb 25 06 at 18:53, cjb made this location private
  •  Forum Threads about this Location
    New Thread
     SubjectStarted ByRepliesViewsLast Post
    You must log in for this feature to work.the firearigato1023583/23/2006 1:54 PM by nostra-YOUPPI!
     Who's been looking?
    Click here to see who'se been looking.
     Report Problems
    Is this location inappropriate / broken / missing key info?
  • If it's something you can fix, please scroll up and click the EDIT button.
  • If this location was only posted a few days ago, give the creator time to work on it.
  • Please try sending a message directly to the creator of the location. You'll find that info at the top of this page.
  • Otherwise, ONLY if you've already tried to contact the original creator,: Click here to notify an administrator.



  • All content and images copyright 2002-2020 UER.CA and respective creators. Graphical Design by Crossfire.
    To contact webmaster, or click to email with problems or other questions about this site: UER CONTACT
    View Terms of Service | View Privacy Policy | Server colocation provided by Beanfield
    This page was generated for you in 109 milliseconds. Since June 23, 2002, a total of 607888044 pages have been generated.