Crew contains fire at Big Town Mall
11:15 AM CDT on Friday, April 28, 2006
By JIM GETZ / The Dallas Morning News
A demolition crew working on the roof of the old Foley's store at Big Town Mall accidentally touched off a fire that sent flames and black smoke into the morning sky Friday, a Mesquite Fire Department spokesman said.
No injuries were reported in the blaze, which broke out about 9:50 a.m. and was contained by 10:15.
The mall, touted as the first enclosed and air-conditioned shopping mall in the Southwest when it opened in 1959, has been abandoned in recent years and is being torn down to make way for future development.
Mike Lewis, field supervisor with Cherry Demolition of Houston, said his small crew was clearing debris on the roof in preparation for further demolition. "Debris got piled up there, and something started it," he said.
Fire Department spokesman Mark Noble said the blaze was sparked by a cutting torch the crew was using to cut through a bolt.