forums
new posts
donate
UER Store
events
location db
db map
search
members
faq
terms of service
privacy policy
register
login




View with Side Frame!
Location DB > United States > Pennsylvania > Ephrata > Mountain Springs Hotel
 Name
Mountain Springs Hotel
 Viewing Options
Log in to activate viewing options
 Database Info
created by PAexplorations on 3/8/2006 6:56 PM
last modified by PAexplorations on 3/8/2006 7:10 PM
 Viewability
Publically Viewable Publically Viewable
This location has been labeled as Demolished, and therefore can be viewed by anyone.
 Overview
 Description
Mountain Springs Hotel on Main Street in Ephrata has been a historica landmark in the community for nearly 100 years. It was the location of the first Ephrata Hospital. Later, it became a respite for the wealthy, who benefited from the hotel’s mineral springs. After the hotel’s intended uses were abandoned, it became a haven for runaways and troublemakers as well as becoming known as the haunted hotel on the hill.
 Basic Information
Type: Building
Status: Demolished
Accessibility: - select -
Recommendation: forget it
 Physical Information
Address

Ephrata, Pennsylvania
United States
Owner:
  • See a map of this location
  •  Hazards
     Interesting Features
    The Mountain Springs had, at the time of its establishment, an observatory 60 ft. high and 1,250 ft. above tidewater.


     Security Measures
     Historical Dates
    Built: 1848
    Closed: 198
     Required Equipment
     Recommended Equipment

     History

    The earliest medical institution, preceding the actual Ephrata Community Hospital, was the Stephan Memorial Hospital, organized by a spiritualist group, Camp Silver Belle. The group met the Ephrata couple, Mr. and Mrs. John Stephan, in Florida in the early 1930's, and together with them bought property in town, the Ephrata Park. This place they used for their meetings, conferences, services, and vacations. Around 1935 the local American Legion Post 429 bought the park property from the group, which in turn bought the whole Mountain Springs Hotel property from the Von Neida family, moving their business and other activities there. The old hotel had been a summer resort and spa of sorts from about the time of the Civil War well into the beginning of this century. But by the 1920's it had decayed as a resort and had no business at all at the time of the Camp Silver Belle purchase. As early as 1918, so stated the Ephrata Review on May 31, 1958, tentative plans were spoken of for a hospital to meet the needs of the people of northern Lancaster County. The Lancaster city hospitals were rather far removed, considering the means of transportation then available, and were difficult for patients to travel to. But an Ephrata location could be central to serving the needs of the people of Murrell, Hinkletown, Hahnstown, Bowmansville, Red Run, Cocalico, Blainsport, Adamstown, Swartzville, Denver, Reamstown, Stevens, New Holland, Terre Hill, Martindale, Schoeneck, Durlach, Hope- land, Clay, Brickerville, Brunnerville, Lincoln, Millway, Rothsville, Akron, Lititz, Brownstown, Talmage, Farmersville, Voganville, Bar'eville, Leola, and others.


    Then, on June 20, 1937, the Silver Belle publication Spiritual Truth announced that the Camp was establishing the Stephan Memorial Hospital at the old Mountain Springs Hotel. The group was dedicating the hospital to the Stephans, who had since died. The hospital occupied that portion of the hotel known as the mansion, once the residence of Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Von Neida, who had operated the resort before its sale to the spiritualists, who actually manned the newly set up hospital. The place was supervised by Mr. Henry Munch, with Mrs. Munch as assistant and director of nursing. At the dedication the nursing staff consisted of Laura Shirk of Ephrata and Mary Einwechter of Audubon, New Jersey. The hospital was declared a non-profit organization, all monies accrued beyond actual running expenses to be put back into the institution in the form of buildings and equipment. Future plans in 1937 called for a hospital of brick or concrete block facing Spring Garden Street.
     Media Coverage
    The Mountain Springs was still occupied in the 1980s, but by the end of the decade the building was vacant and physical deterioration was increasing. The contents of the hotel were sold at auction in 1991. Over the past five years a number of reuse proposals have been considered and rejected. A July 1992 proposal planned to subdivide 8.3 acres of the property for development, to reuse the frame hotel building, but to demolish some of the oldest structures on the property. To date, no action has been taken on the proposal and the property continues to deteriorate.
    THIS PROPERTY IS NOW DEMOLISHED AS OF SUMMER 2004.
     Future Plans
    Mountain Springs Hotel/Hampton Inn-- The Mountain Springs Hotel, unoccupied for a long period of time, was torn down in 2004 and, as of March 2005, is currently being rebuilt as a completely new building. A small portion of the original building will be preserved and likely used as a museum.

    The EEDC spearheaded the redevelopment of the Mountain Springs Hotel Site Project, where a "Hampton Inn" and an "Applebee's is now located and the former Sprecher’s Hardware Store, which now houses “Celebrations”.
     Stories


    Add your own story
     Photo Galleries
    Click to view gallery
    Mountain Springs 2003-2004
    Wed, Mar 8th, 2006
    posted by PAexplorations
    29 pictures
    Click to view gallery
    Whats Left-2006
    Sun, Apr 30th, 2006
    posted by PAexplorations
    3 pictures


    Add your own photos

    Mark all galleries as Seen
     Web Links

     Contribute

    Edit this Location
     Moderator Rating
    The moderator rating is a neutral rating of the content quality, photography, and coolness of this location.

    Category Rating
    Photography 7 / 10
    Coolness 7 / 10
    Content Quality 7 / 10
     Validation
    This location's validation is current. It was last validated by Emperor Wang on 7/3/2006 11:36 PM.

     Latest Changes
  • on Jul 3 06 at 23:36, Emperor Wang validated this location
  • on Apr 30 06 at 22:52, PAexplorations updated gallery picture a5_1.jpg
  • on Apr 30 06 at 22:47, PAexplorations updated gallery picture 42906 032.jpg
  • on Apr 30 06 at 22:46, PAexplorations updated gallery picture 42906 033.jpg
  • on Apr 30 06 at 22:46, PAexplorations updated gallery picture 42906 034.jpg
  • on Apr 30 06 at 22:45, PAexplorations updated gallery Whats Left-2006
  • on Apr 30 06 at 22:45, PAexplorations updated gallery Whats Left-2006
  • on Apr 30 06 at 22:38, PAexplorations created a new gallery
  • on Mar 8 06 at 19:28, PAexplorations updated gallery picture IMG02646
  • on Mar 8 06 at 19:26, PAexplorations deleted picture 166901 from gallery Mountain Springs 2003-2004
  •  Forum Threads about this Location
    New Thread
     Who's been looking?
    Click here to see who'se been looking.
     Report Problems
    Is this location inappropriate / broken / missing key info?
  • If it's something you can fix, please scroll up and click the EDIT button.
  • If this location was only posted a few days ago, give the creator time to work on it.
  • Please try sending a message directly to the creator of the location. You'll find that info at the top of this page.
  • Otherwise, ONLY if you've already tried to contact the original creator,: Click here to notify an administrator.



  • All content and images copyright 2002-2020 UER.CA and respective creators. Graphical Design by Crossfire.
    To contact webmaster, or click to email with problems or other questions about this site: UER CONTACT
    View Terms of Service | View Privacy Policy | Server colocation provided by Beanfield
    This page was generated for you in 125 milliseconds. Since June 23, 2002, a total of 621964811 pages have been generated.