created by sys104
on 5/9/2004 8:26 PM
last modified by La Cigale
on 12/24/2012 5:31 AM
This location has been labeled by its creator as Public, and therefore can be viewed by anyone.
The Catacombs of Paris (the “municipal Ossuary”) have been created at the end of the 18th century. The cemetery of Innocent (close to Saint-Eustace, in the district of the "Halles") had been used during nearly ten centuries and had become the origin of infection for all the inhabitants of the district. After multiple complaints, the Council of State, by decision of November 9, 1785, pronounced the removal and the evacuation of the cemetery of the Innocent ones.
Old Quarries were selected to deposit Parisian bones; Paris indeed had just created the General Inspection of the Quarries charged of the consolidation of the public highways undermined by the Quarries. The Quarries “of Tombe-Issoire” were the object of work including masonry and consolidations of galleries, and by the digging of a flanked staircase.
The removal of the bones began after the blessing of the place on April 7, 1786 and was continued until 1788, always at night and according to a ceremonial made up of a procession of priests who sang the burial service along the way borrowed by the tipcarts charged with bones and covered with a black veil. Thereafter, this place was used, until 1814, to collect the bones of all the cemeteries of Paris.
From the first day of their creation, the Catacombs caused curiosity. In 1787, Lord of d' Artois, who will become Charles 10, went down there, in company of ladies from the Court. The following year, one mentions the visit of Madam de Polignac and Madam de Guiche. In 1814, François 1st, emperor of Austria, residing as a winner in Paris visited them. In 1860, Napoleon III went down there with his son. The Catacombs of Paris reopened on June 14, 2005 after several months of closing for work. Lighting was revised, the arches were consolidated and the walls of re-installed bones.
Type: Tunnel/cave Status: Repurposed Accessibility: Easy Recommendation: worth the trip
France Owner: Marie de Paris
6 millions body rest there. Thousand of million of bones piled everywhere The "official" catacombs cover only a very small part of a vast network of underground abandoned mines that stretch for hundred of kilometres under the streets of Paris.
This site is now a museum.
Built: 1000 Closed: 0
long pants / sleeves
The mines were created somewhere between the 10th and the 12th century for the extraction of Limestone. During the 18th century there needed to be a space to rest the bodies that had crowded the cemeteries of Pairs, and these abandoned mines became the final resting place for over 6 million bodies.
The moderator rating is a neutral rating of the content quality, photography, and coolness of this location.
This location has not yet been rated by a moderator.
This location's validation is current. It was last validated by
Opheliaism on 1/21/2013 2:26 PM.
on Jan 21 13 at 14:26, Opheliaism validated this location
on Dec 24 12 at 5:31, La Cigale changed the following: Owner, Street Address, Province / State (please use full name), Latitude, Longitude, Co-ordinate Accuracy, History, Year Built, Year Closed, Status, Hazards, Interesting Features, Security Measures, Required Equipment, Media Coverage, Description, Web Links
on Aug 25 11 at 14:32, Opheliaism validated this location
on Aug 25 11 at 14:04, RebelDead added some pictures to a gallery
on Aug 25 11 at 14:00, RebelDead updated gallery Public Catacombs 2009
on Aug 25 11 at 14:00, RebelDead created a new gallery
on Jul 25 08 at 6:24, Steed validated this location
on Feb 26 08 at 2:07, Emperor Wang changed the following: Display Name, Real Name, Notes for Mods, Web Links