American 20's Deco Architecture The Water Tower The Elevator Green Glass Windows
Built: 1929 Closed: 1991
decent pair of boots would be a good idea
In 1929, the American Can Company chose Simcoe as the site for its new can manufacturing factory. Located on Robinson Street at the former location of Central School, the new factory was a striking example of art deco architecture not generally found in small town Ontario. During war times, the plant was temporarily used to make shell and artillery casings. The decrease of male employees at the plant due to the war also brought an increase of women to the plant. At one point Simcoe was one of the largest can manufacturing companies in Canada, producing so many cans that one of every two food containers in Canada was made at the Simcoe American Can plant. The plant continued to grow and develop new manufacturing methods to increase production. In 1977, the plant reached its peak production, employed 600 people and paid the best wages in the entire area. In 1991, Ball Packaging, the owners since 1988, announced the closing of the plant and the remaining 210 employees were given notice.