St. Gabriel’s Monastery is a formerly abandoned residential and institutional complex in the Brighton neighborhood of Boston, Massachusetts.
St. Gabriel’s was constructed between 1909 and 1965 to serve the Passionists, a Roman Catholic religious order. 1 The 14-acre site includes a cemetery, St. Gabriel’s Church, Monastery, Retreat House, and a shrine.
The site was converted into a nursing school and dormitory space in 1980-81, remaining in use as such until fairly recently. It is now being redeveloped for a major mixed-use development, containing 660 housing units. Much of the site, including the Monastery Building and Church, is being saved and repurposed.