"The Larimer School is located in the Larimer neighborhood of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and is named after William Larimer, Jr., who opened the first Conestoga wagon business in the area. He later moved west and founded Denver, Colorado and Larimer City, Nebraska.
Designed by Ulysses J. Lincoln Peoples, a well-known architect in Pittsburgh, Larimer School's construction costs tallied $80,000 in 1896 due, in part, to the marble wainscoting and the terrazzo floors. Peoples designed the addition of 13 classrooms in 1904, which came with a $100,000 price tag. Architect George Rowland designed the final touches to Larimer School – the auditorium and the gym in 1931.
Declining enrollment led to the permanent closing of Larimer School in 1980. Since then, ownership of the building has exchanged hands several times. The current developer of the abandoned school, KBK Enterprises with Fishers of Men, plans to convert the building into affordable housing for Pittsburghers. The complex was sold to Ann Swartz, a former teacher at Larimer who had opened to reuse the building as a community center and senior housing.17 The plans never came to fruition due to funding issues and Swartz died in 1996, leaving the project in limbo until recently. In 2005, Larimer School was sold to local developer Emmett Miles of the non-profit Fishers of Men. Miles had planned on using federal dollars to complete asbestos abatement in the building but was unable to secure financing.
Local developer Keith B. Key, proposed to renovate the Larimer School into 36 senior housing apartments and ground-floor community service space at a cost of $14 million. Miles’ Fishers of Men, was listed as a partner. Together, the duo is seeking $1,008,115 in low-income tax credits and state historic tax credits to finance the redevelopment. KBK Enterprises was selected as the developer for the project."
Information from:http://www.onlyiny...school-pittsburgh/ http://abandonedon...ls/larimer-school/
*Please take note of the sentences shown at the bottom of the video during scenes.*
Filmed: September 21, 2017
Location: Pittsburgh, PA