|Posted by Dark_Aaron|
Being presented at defcon, yes it was more tailored to the hacker community as a basic intro, but really what other hacker skill could be applied to UE? They did somewhat touch on social engineering.
Speaking as someone who does quite a bit of both, and exploration on high-security active sites, just about every hacker skill can be applied to UE. Sure, perhaps not computer hacking
per se, but even that has its uses and the skills are transferable.
- Physical security hacking to bypass locked doors
- Elevator hacking to bypass floor lockouts
- Hacking key control systems to determine key codes for locations (without ever stealing keys)
- Electronics hacking to temporarily disable alarm systems that would otherwise render a place off-limits
- Despite what the talk may say, some places are simply not accessible without lockpicking
I generally only do this sort of thing on things like roofs, tunnels, or abandonments – not to get into anyone’s office.